Monday, June 4, 2012

President Jonathan reacts to Bauchi church suicide attacks

President Goodluck Jonathan has again appealed to Nigerians, especially those who occupy leadership positions, to fully support the Federal Government and security services in the fight against terrorism.

In his reaction, yesterday to the suicide bomb attack on a church in Bauchi State, the President said no patriotic Nigerian should stand aloof while enemies of the nation wage a wicked war against innocent citizens.

In a statement by his Special Adviser on Communications, Dr. Reuben Abati, the President expressed sadness at the loss of more Nigerian lives in a terrorist attack on a church in Bauchi State and conveyed his “sincerest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the bombing and has directed federal medical and emergency services to do everything possible to assist the survivors.

“While the recurrence of a heinous attack on a place of worship is most regrettable, the President urges Nigerians not to be disheartened by it.

Suicide blast kills 15 in Bauchi church

KANO, Nigeria (AFP)

A suicide bomber who tried to drive an explosives-packed car into a church in northern Nigeria on Sunday killed at least 15 people, including himself, and injured 40, officials said.

Speeding up his vehicle, the attacker approached a checkpoint near the church in Bauchi State, which has previously been hit by Islamist group Boko Haram and where tension between Muslims and Christians has led to violence in the past.

"We have a checkpoint not far from the church which prevented the bomber from gaining access to his target," said state police commissioner Mohammed Ladan.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This