Monday, June 4, 2012

President Jonathan reacts to Bauchi church suicide attacks

President Goodluck Jonathan has again appealed to Nigerians, especially those who occupy leadership positions, to fully support the Federal Government and security services in the fight against terrorism.

In his reaction, yesterday to the suicide bomb attack on a church in Bauchi State, the President said no patriotic Nigerian should stand aloof while enemies of the nation wage a wicked war against innocent citizens.

In a statement by his Special Adviser on Communications, Dr. Reuben Abati, the President expressed sadness at the loss of more Nigerian lives in a terrorist attack on a church in Bauchi State and conveyed his “sincerest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the bombing and has directed federal medical and emergency services to do everything possible to assist the survivors.

“While the recurrence of a heinous attack on a place of worship is most regrettable, the President urges Nigerians not to be disheartened by it.

“Rather, he urges Nigerians and friends of the country to be comforted by the knowledge that the significant reduction in the frequency of such attacks in recent weeks is a clear indication of the increasing effectiveness of measures that had been put in place by the security services to combat the evil of terrorism.”

He assured Nigerians that the Armed Forces and security services will continue to implement proactive counter-terrorism measures and intensify efforts to totally eradicate the scourge of mindless terrorism from the country.

At least nine persons were confirmed killed and 40 others injured in a suicide bomb attack, yesterday, at Harvest Field church near Living Faith Church in Yelwa area, a surburb of Bauchi State metropolis.

Addressing newsmen on the incident, Bauchi State Commissioner of Police, Alhaji Mohammed Ladan, said a suicide bomber who drove a Honda Civic car, attempted to force his way into the Church, hitting a barricade.

The commissioner said: “A lone suicide bomber in a Honda Civic attempted to force his way into the iron barricade at the entrance of Living Faith Church, Ungwan Angas, Yelwa, Bauchi, but was denied entry.

“In the process, the suicide bomber detonated his explosives at the barrier opposite Harvest Church, Ungwan Yelwa.

“The suicide bomber died on the spot, while nine persons so far have been confirmed dead and 27 others are receiving treatment at Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Teaching Hospital, Bauchi.”

Click here to read more

Source: The Vanguard online

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This